EMPIRICAL LINGUISTICS AND LANGUAGE DOCUMENTATION
M.A. IN MODERN LANGUAGES – EMPIRICAL LINGUISTICS AND LANGUAGE DOCUMENTATION
The MA programme in Empirical Linguistics and Language Documentation is intended for students with a genuine interest in languages and linguistics. It provides knowledge and skills necessary for documenting languages according to 21st century standards as well as access to research methods in empirical linguistics and their application in various fields of practice.
The programme consists of the following modules:
- Documentary Linguistics introduces principles of language documentation and archiving and teaches techniques and tools for gathering, annotating, storing, and managing linguistic data;
- Spoken Language Analysis focuses first on theoretical and technical aspects of speech analysis (phonetics), and in the second term on the grammar of spoken discourse, the structure of conversations and oral narratives;
- Language Typology and Descriptive Linguistics explains how to capture cross-linguistic similarities and differences and how to describe structurally diverse languages;
- Statistics for Linguistic Analysis makes students understand the role of statistical analyses in a variety of linguistic disciplines and enables them to use the proper methods and tools in their own research;
- Methods and Applications is a module comprising classes which introduce methods of empirical research in various subfields of linguistics (especially: sociolinguistics, psycholinguistics, corpus linguistics), and classes teaching applications of linguistics, for example, in lexicography, preparing of teaching materials, language planning and language revitalization;
- Additional lectures provide further possibilities to acquire knowledge and skills in topics chosen by the student;
- A Foreign Language other than English is taught over the whole cycle and can be chosen from the offer at the Institute of Linguistics (in some cases it will be possible to take the language classes in other departments). Students are especially encouraged to study a lesser taught language.
- Classes in English for Academic Purposes help students better understand academic texts in English and provides them with the necessary skills to present their own research in speaking and writing.
- The MA Seminar accompanies the students over the two years in the process of doing research and writing a thesis. In the first semester students are introduced to research methods in linguistics and learn how to design a study and find a topic for their thesis. After that, students will develop their research in small groups with a supervisor.
Language of instruction
|Enrollment start date:||2020-06-01|
|Enrollment end date:||2020-09-24|
|Enrollment fee payment deadline:||2020-09-24|
|Dates for document submission:||from 2020-08-24 to 2020-09-25|
Registration: 85 PLN
Tuition fee per year: 6,000 PLN
tuition fee per semester: 3,000 PLN